MELBOURNE, Australia – The headline in Sydney’s Daily Telegraph on Monday was all at once misleading and meaningful – “Now for Woods v Williams.”
Stevie Williams, of course, only carries the clubs for Adam Scott, who, according to International captain Greg Norman, may be destined for a high-profile, high-pressure bout with Tiger Woods at this week’s Presidents Cup.
Although Williams and Woods have talked since the caddie sparked a firestorm with his racial comments about Woods at an event two weeks ago in Shanghai, a possible pairing with his old boss promises to add even more buzz to an already frenzied event.
Before leaving the Australian Open Norman said he would have no problem sending Scott out against Woods.
“I asked Adam if it worked out that way, did he have a problem with it? He said, ‘Not at all. I’ll play him and win a point for you,’” Norman said. “If it happens, it happens. It is not going to be premeditated. He might end up playing with him every day, who knows?”
Scott is expected to be paired with Jason Day to form what many consider the International side’s best tandem, while Woods will play with Steve Stricker, with whom he went undefeated in 2009 at Harding Park.
Watch wall-to-wall coverage of the Presidents Cup live on Golf Channel beginning Monday at 6PM. Tournament air times: Golf Channel Wednesday 9PM-2AM, Thursday 7:30PM-2AM, Friday 3PM-2AM and Saturday 6:30PM-12:30AM. NBC coverage Saturday at 8AM and Sunday at noon. (Note: all times are ET)
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Rd. 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA Champ. win
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots