Title sponsor to leave Boo Weekleys second home
- By Rex Hoggard
- Sep 29, 2009 4:26 PM ET
PGA Tour officials are expected to announce this afternoon that Verizon will not renew its contract to sponsor the circuit’s annual spring stop on Hilton Head Island, S.C.
According to sources close to the tournament, Verizon, the title sponsor at Harbour Town since 2006, will remain with the tournament through 2010.
“I consider it my second home,” said Boo Weekley, winner of the 2007 and ’08 Verizon Heritages. “If I could live anywhere else it would be up there. I love the people. I will continue to play up there my entire career and will do anything I can to find a new sponsor.”
The Tour is expected to have little trouble filling the void left by Verizon thanks to one of the circuit’s most endearing golf courses and a unique post-Masters slot on the schedule.
It is, however, a cause for concern among Tour officials as the circuit struggles to renew or replace as many as 11 title or presenting sponsorships that run through 2010.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Colsaerts loses to G-Mac, takes bizarre drop | Results
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process