David Toms and Camilo Villegas showed an early glimpse of hope for 2012 on Thursday as they shared the early lead in the Humana Challenge at 9 under.
Both carded 63 to take command, with Villegas charging on the Nicklaus Private course while Toms got the best of La Quinta.
Phil Mickelson was 3 under through nine holes before taking a double bogey at the 10th and triple bogey at the 14th en route to a 2-over 74.
Brandt Snedeker, who underwent hip surgery to end his 2011 season, made his return to the Tour and shot an 8-under 64 to share third with rookie Ted Potter Jr. and Sang-moon Bae.
Dustin Johnson, who moved up the start of his season by a week after a successful recovery from arthroscopic knee surgery, finished at 2 under after walking his first 18 holes of the year.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae