PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Yeah, it’s only Tuesday of The Players Championship, but it’s never too early to take a look at the 17th island hole.
Here’s a historical primer to get you ready for one of the PGA Tour’s most controversial holes:
Total balls in the water over four rounds:
Most career birdies – Bernhard Langer, 24; Davis Love III’s 17 birdies are most among any player in this week’s field.
Longest active streak without hitting a ball in the water – Robert Allenby, 28; Scott Verplank, 28; Kevin Sutherland, 26.
Most total balls in the water (since 2003) – Bob Tway, nine; Aaron Baddeley and Heath Slocum have each hit eight balls in the water, most of any players in this week’s field.
Hole-in-ones: Miguel Angel Jimenez (2002, first round), Paul Azinger (2000, third round); Joey Sindelar (1999, first round); Fred Couples (1997, fourth round); Brian Claar (1991, third round); Brad Fabel (1986, first round).
Highest scores: Bob Tway, 12 (2005, third round); Robert Gamez, 11 (1990, third round); Phil Blackmar, 10 (1990, second round).
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth