CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Many in Thursday’s gallery at Quail Hollow Club likely didn’t know who Patrick Reed is, which seems about right because the freshly minted touring professional probably doesn’t know exactly where he is right now.
The last three weeks Reed and his fiancee have covered 1,258 miles, played 200 holes of meaningful golf and earned more money ($81,755) than most recent college grads can expect to make in a year. And yet it feels as if Team Reed is just getting started.
The Reeds’ excellent adventure began with a pre-qualifying event for the Texas Open, but before he could finish his Monday qualifying round for the San Antonio stop he was given a sponsor exemption into the field, where he finished tied for 35th.
Following his Texas start, Reed and his fiancee, Justine Karain, drove to New Orleans, arrived at 2:45 a.m. Monday morning and headed out for the Zurich Classic qualifier where he finished tied at 4 under and survived a two-hole playoff for one of the final spots at TPC Louisiana.
In New Orleans, he tied for 24th and boarded a flight shortly afterward to Greenville, N.C., for another abbreviated night’s sleep and another sprint to a Monday qualifying tee time for this week’s Wells Fargo Championship.
“My butt is getting flatter because there’s been a lot of driving and a lot less sleep,” said Reed, who shot 65 on Monday to qualify for his third consecutive Tour event.
Reed’s bogey-free 66 on Thursday at Quail Hollow vaulted him into an early tie for the lead and he said confidence, if not caffeine, has been the key to his recent success.
The good news for the Augusta State standout is that unless he wins the Wells Fargo he will be able to rest up next week. There is no Monday qualifier for The Players Championship.
Fresh off his U.S. Open win, Justin Rose will play the first two rounds at TPC River Highlands alongside a pair of fellow major champions. Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path