Uihlein, Dougherty fail to qualify for British Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 3, 2012 6:25 PM ET
At four sites in England on Tuesday, 12 players earned spots through 36-hole local final qualifying tournaments into the British Open at Royal Lytham and St. Annes in two weeks.
At St. Annes Old Links, Paul Broadhurst was medalist at 7 under. Barry Lane, the 52-year-old Englishman, tied for second with Argentine Rafael Echenique for the final two spots.
Dale Whitnell won the Hillside GC qualifier at 9 under. Warren Bennett and Steve Tiley also qualified.
Kiwi Steven Alker earn a spot as medalist at 7 under at West Lancashire GC. There was a four-man playoff for two spots between Americans Scott Pinckney and Marty Jertson, as well as Steven O'Hara and amateur Richard Bentham. Pinckney and O'Hara emerged, gaining the final two spots from that site.
The final spots were decided at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club. Dane Morten Orum Madsen won the qualifier at 8 under. A three-man playoff for two spots then took place between Chris Doak, Ian Keenan and Elliot Saltman. Saltman and Keenan were the last two players of the day to earn spots into the Lytham field.
Among the notables that failed to qualify, Peter Uihlein and Nick Dougherty fell short at Southport and Ainsdale, Patrick Rodgers and Chris Wood didn't get through at St. Annes and 2005 U.S. Open champion Michael Campbell came up shot at West Lancashire.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
- LIVE STREAM: 'Morning Drive' with Sergio reax
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia apologizes for 'fried chicken' remark
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth