USGA not allowing cell phones at U.S. Open

RSS

SAN FRANCISCO – The PGA Tour and Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews may have succumbed to the rising tide of cell phone use, but the U.S. Golf Association is taking a wait-and-see approach according to organization officials.

USGA executive director Mike Davis told ESPN.com on Monday at The Olympic Club that “we need to get more comfortable from a technology side.”

The Tour began allowing cell phones at events last year and the R&A announced in April that mobile devices will be allowed at the British Open for the first time next month. Davis did say the USGA will allow cell phones at the U.S. Women’s Open.

Cell phones have become a lightning rod on Tour in recent weeks following Phil Mickelson’s withdrawal from the Memorial last month. Although Lefty said he withdrew because of mental fatigue, Bubba Watson, who was paired with Mickelson, said cell phones were an issue.

“It’s sad that cell phones can make or break a championship,” Watson said at Muirfield Village.

Cell phones will not be a problem this week at the U.S. Open. Fans must pass through a metal detector before entering Olympic.