Walter “Yippy” Rankin, husband to LPGA Hall of Fame member and Golf Channel broadcaster Judy Rankin, passed away on Friday following an extended illness.
The two met at a pro-am when Judy Rankin was 20 years old. The couple married three weeks later in Juarez, Mexico in June 1967.
They would have tied the knot in El Paso, Texas, but Judy Rankin said in a 2004 Golf Digest piece, "[W]e would have had to wait three days for the blood test to come back."
They were married for 45 years.
A funeral service will be held in their hometown of Midland, Texas on Monday.
Tags: Judy Rankin
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGA of America | USGA
- Manufacturer on anchor ban: 'Golf lost today'
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae