DORAL, Fla. – Bubba Watson is in a familiar place at the WGC-Cadillac Championship: at the top of the leaderboard. He shot an opening-round 66 and is in the lead with Tiger Woods, Freddie Jacobson, Sergio Garcia and Graeme McDowell.
Watson vaulted into the lead in Round 2 last year here at Doral with a 62 that included nine birdies and an eagle. He slipped early in the final round but had a chance to get into a playoff with Justin Rose with a birdie on No. 18 but he missed the makeable putt.
Thursday, Watson birdied three of his first five holes and shot 32 on the front nine. The last nine holes were relatively calm for Watson with two birdies and seven pars.
“We should be able to play good golf in these kind of conditions,” said Watson, who was grouped with Steve Stricker and Phil Mickelson. “When you put us in these groupings, these elite fields like this, you’re always playing with a top-notch player. You just always have to step up your game and stay focused, pretty much like a major championship.”
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots