Wet conditions could lead to long week


FARMINGDALE, N.Y. – With the Black Course at Bethpage State Park already drenched from two weeks of rain, and wet weather forecasted for Thursday (60 percent chance), Friday (40 percent), Saturday (40 percent) and Sunday (40 percent), the players at this week's U.S. Open are bracing themselves for a very long week – both in terms of the course they'll be playing and the rough they'll be gouging out of if they miss the fairway.
'If you miss the fairway by five or six yards, you can pretty much get it on the green or around the green every time,' said Sergio Garcia on Tuesday after playing the back nine in the morning.
But if you miss by more than 10 yards?
'If you get it in the big stuff, hopefully you'll manage to come out of there alive,' Garcia said with a chuckle.
'It's a very strong kind of grass,' he continued. 'And at the same time, it's very wet.” 'Because of all the rain, it gets very heavy.'