Michelle Wie is a U.S. Solheim Cup team member.
U.S. captain Beth Daniel used one of her discretionary selections on Wie. She used her other captain’s pick on Juli Inkster.
This will be Wie’s first Solheim Cup, while Inkster will be making her eighth appearance. Wie was 13th on the final points standing. One player left off the team was Pat Hurst, who was the only one among te three who has won this year on the LPGA.
“I am so honored, so thrilled,” Wie said. “I am so excited to be wearing this jacket and this hat and to be representing my country is such a thrill for me. I am so honored that Beth picked me and I will do my best not to let her down.”
Daniel made the announcement in the aftermath of the Ricoh Women’s British Open, where Wie shot 3-under 69 Sunday to tie for 11th. Inkster, like Hurst, missed the cut.
The following players automatically qualified for the U.S. team, which will take on a European squad Aug. 21-23 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.: Paula Creamer, Cristie Kerr, Angela Stanford, Nicole Castrale, Brittany Lang, Morgan Pressel, Kristy McPherson, Christina Kim, Brittany Lincicome and Natalie Gulbis.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots