Woods could regain OWGR top spot at Royal Lytham
- By Jay Coffin
- Jul 17, 2012 10:48 AM ET
LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – The official projections for the Official World Golf Ranking will come out later, but Golf Channel insiders crunched math and determined that four different men have a chance to become No. 1 by the end of the week at Royal Lytham.
Here are unofficial projections of what could happen:
Luke Donald (No. 1): If he misses the cut, his ranking will be 9.39, which is the benchmark for everyone else.
Rory McIlroy (No. 2): Will need at least 50 points to have a chance to pass Donald. Fifty points traditionally has been a T-2 finish at a major. With a win, second or second-place tie with one other player, Donald would need a solo second-place finish to retain No. 1.
Lee Westwood (No. 3): Can only become No. 1 with a victory this week. Donald would need a third place finish to hold the top spot.
Tiger Woods (No. 4): Can only become No. 1 with a victory. Donald would need to finish better than solo third to retain No. 1.
Tune into Golf Channel Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET to hear from Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy and more at the Open Championship News Conference. Read More
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play