Woods could regain OWGR top spot at Royal Lytham
- By Jay Coffin
- Jul 17, 2012 10:48 AM ET
LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – The official projections for the Official World Golf Ranking will come out later, but Golf Channel insiders crunched math and determined that four different men have a chance to become No. 1 by the end of the week at Royal Lytham.
Here are unofficial projections of what could happen:
Luke Donald (No. 1): If he misses the cut, his ranking will be 9.39, which is the benchmark for everyone else.
Rory McIlroy (No. 2): Will need at least 50 points to have a chance to pass Donald. Fifty points traditionally has been a T-2 finish at a major. With a win, second or second-place tie with one other player, Donald would need a solo second-place finish to retain No. 1.
Lee Westwood (No. 3): Can only become No. 1 with a victory this week. Donald would need a third place finish to hold the top spot.
Tiger Woods (No. 4): Can only become No. 1 with a victory. Donald would need to finish better than solo third to retain No. 1.
Tune into Golf Channel Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET to hear from Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy and more at the Open Championship News Conference. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management