LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – Three-time champion Tiger Woods will find himself in a familiar grouping during the first two rounds of this week’s Open Championship, competing alongside Sergio Garcia and fellow Sean Foley disciple Justin Rose.
That trio will begin their opening round on Royal Lytham & St. Annes at 4:42 a.m. ET on Thursday, which is 9:42 a.m. local time.
No. 1-ranked Luke Donald will compete with fellow stars Phil Mickelson and Geoff Ogilvy in another marquee tee time, beginning at 9:43 a.m. ET.
Darren Clarke will start his title defense alongside fellow past champion Ernie Els and Zach Johnson, who claimed the John Deere Classic on Sunday.
In a group of major championship winners, Rory McIlroy, Keegan Bradley and Louis Oosthuizen will play together.
Still searching for his first major championship, Lee Westwood is competing with Masters champion Bubba Watson and Yoshinori Fujimoto.
Three years ago, Tom Watson nearly claimed his sixth claret jug at Turnberry. He is back in this week’s field, with Martin Kaymer and Ryo Ishikawa rounding out that threesome.
The first shot of the Open will be struck by Barry Lane, who tees off at 1:19 a.m. ET on Thursday.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots