Woods in the hunt after 67 at Barclays


JERSEY CITY, N.J. – It was a long day – 10 hours and 42 minutes, to be exact – for Tiger Woods on Thursday at Liberty National that resulted in a bogey-free 4-under 67 in Round 1 of The Barclays.

After teeing off of the 10th tee at 8:16 a.m. ET, Woods and playing partners Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker played exactly one hole before inclement weather caused the first of two weather delays.

Woods found the fairway at the 10th, then proceeded to hit the green and two-putt for a regulation par.

After the group walked onto the 11th tee, the horn blew.

'That was fun. Let's do it again sometime,' Woods joked to nearby fans as he proceeded off the course to take shelter.

The first round resumed at 11:05 a.m. local time, and this time, Woods' group managed to get in an additional six holes.

It was in this spurt, holes 11 through 16, where Woods recorded back-to-back-to-back birdies at Nos. 14, 15 and 16. It was nearly four birdies in a row, had Woods made a 4-footer for birdie at the par-5 13th.

'It got a little bit soft (after the rain) and we got a couple mud balls,' Woods said. 'But you could be so aggressive going into the greens, you didn't have to worry about anything bouncing.'

The Barclays: Articles, videos and photos

Play was again halted at 12:47 p.m. because of rain and lightning in the area, forcing players off the course for 3 1/2 hours. 

When Woods returned for his third start of the day at 4:15 p.m., he had a 22-footer for birdie at the 17th. He two-putted for par and proceeded to finish his first round without any further weather delays.

Of his remaining 11 holes in the afternoon, Woods carded only one birdie when he knocked his tee shot at the par-3 fourth to 10 feet and struck a solid, pure putt that found the bottom of the cup.

'I'm actually tired. I got up at 4 (a.m.) this morning,' Woods said.

The only gaping hole in his opening round was that he didn't take advantage of the par 5s.

'I didn't play the par 5s well today,' Woods said, who played the three par 5s in even par. 'Other than that, I played pretty solid and I gave myself some looks.'

In Wednesday's pro-am, Woods didn't hit a full shot on the back nine as a precautionary measure, to make sure his stiff neck and back would be ready for Thursday. He stretched and torqued a few times throughout the day, but maintained that any stiffness was due to the stop-and-go nature of the day rather than injury.

'The back was stiff going out on the third restart, but it is what it is,' he said.

Everyone was able to tee off in Round 1, but the afternoon wave did not complete play Thursday. By night's end, Woods was T-7, three shots off the pace set by Kevin Stadler.

The first round will resume Friday at 7 a.m. The second round is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m.