THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Tiger Woods is in a share of third place at the World Challenge at 8 under after a third-round 69, but he knows he could be even higher on the leaderboard going into Sunday.
“I missed a few opportunities out there,” he said. “I felt like I played decent enough to get to 10 under, to get to double digits, and just didn't do it. As of right now I'm five back. … I'm going to have to shoot a low one tomorrow and see what happens.”
At the top of that list of missed opportunities was making par on each of the four par-5 holes at Sherwood Country Club. During each of the first two rounds, Woods played this set of holes in 3 under.
He also lamented a third straight bogey on the par-3 eighth hole, this one the effect of a duffed chip from just off the green.
“It's weird,” he said after the round. “Some of the years I play it 2, 3 under and other years I play it 3, 4 over. It's just one of those holes.”
Woods did turn his day around late, though. He fired a beautiful approach into the 14th green for a tap-in birdie, then made putts on the 15th and 17th greens to post two more.
He will play in the penultimate pairing alongside Bo Van Pelt on Sunday, teeing off at 1:47 p.m. ET.
Tags: Tiger Woods
In a recent episode of "Feherty," Rocco Mediate detailed a request he made of Tiger Woods for an autograph that went largely unfulfilled. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | In Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth