Woods replaced his old SQ II fairway wood to go with the company’s newest model with solid results, carding a 6-under 66 to take a share of the first-round lead.
“The 5-wood that I used is the SQ, so it's, what, three versions ago,” Woods said. “I finally put one in play that I felt comfortable with. I hit it a little bit further, so there's a little bit bigger gap between the 3-iron and the 5-wood but I can hit this 5-wood a little bit higher, so I can actually take something off it and throw it up in the air, which is nice.
“So even though that gap is a little bigger, I still have the option of being able to spin it up in the air.”
Woods used the SQ II 5-wood when he won at Torrey Pines earlier this year.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Colsaerts loses after bizarre drop | Results
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process