DORAL, Fla. – Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have made the turn in the opening round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship. Woods made four birdies, two bogeys and three pars to shoot 2-under 34. McIlroy made three bogeys and a birdie to shoot 38.
The duo, along with playing partner Luke Donald, played the back nine first and now head to the front side.
Woods' first shot of the day came on the par-5 10th hole with a red Nike Covert 5-wood. It’s the first time he’s put a Covert product into his bag for competition. Woods made easy birdies on Nos. 11 and 12 to quickly get to 2 under par but gave them back on the next two holes when he made consecutive bogeys. But he birdied two of the last three holes on the side, including a spiffy birdie on the par-4 18th hole from 8 feet.
McIlroy, meanwhile, created a lot of stress for himself. Playing in his first competitive round since his infamous walk-off WD last week at the Honda Classic, he hit several wayward shots and struggled to make par on numerous holes. Bogey on the 18th hole came after a drive left, an iron shot onto the fringe and failure to get up and down.
Follow the action all week from Doral with Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management