Woods, McIlroy off and running early at The Barclays
- By Jason Sobel
- Aug 21, 2012 1:01 PM ET
That will change at 8:16 a.m. ET Thursday morning.
Woods and McIlroy will be joined by Zach Johnson on the 10th tee in the morning wave of The Barclays opening round at Bethpage Black.
“I'm going to relish the opportunity because I think they're two of the best players that I play with, certainly two of the better players that are playing right now in the world,” Johnson said in advance of the tournament. “I guess if I wasn't playing with them and I was working out or in my hotel, I'd probably be watching them on TV, so now I've got a firsthand watch.”
Woods enters the first FedEx Cup playoff event at No. 1 on the points list, with McIlroy in the No. 3 position. With No. 2 Jason Dufner taking the week off, the final place in their group fell to Johnson, who is fourth in the standings.
With all groups formed by FedEx Cup rankings, there are a few other star-studded trios for the first two rounds.
The next highest-ranked group features Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan and Carl Pettersson, off the first tee at 1:06 p.m. on Thursday, followed by Keegan Bradley, Matt Kuchar and Steve Stricker off the 10th at 8:05 in the group before Woods, McIlroy and Johnson.
There are 123 of the top 125 players in this week’s field. Dufner elected to skip the event and Spencer Levin withdrew after his brother passed away earlier this week.
A common phrase this year – ''Tiger's back'' – took on a new meaning Friday at The Barclays. Woods felt a twinge in his lower back when he awoke and felt pain throughout the second round at Bethpage B... Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path