Woods, who won three times on the PGA Tour this year, tops the search engine's list, followed by tennis star Maria Sharapova and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning. No other golfer was among the top 10 on the year-end countdown.
Having ascended from No. 23 to No. 3 in the world ranking this year, the distinction from Yahoo will likely be viewed in a better light than the last time Woods received top billing in the category, as he was also Yahoo's top-searched athlete in 2009, while embroiled in off-the-course controversy. The 14-time major champion was second behind boxer Manny Pacquiao in 2010 and last year was runner-up to driver Danica Patrick.
Bing also produced a list of its most-searched sports stars for 2012, one in which Woods was second behind Manning but ahead of another quarterback, Tim Tebow. Google has yet to release any information on its top searches of 2012.
Tags: Tiger Woods
In a recent episode of "Feherty," Rocco Mediate detailed a request he made of Tiger Woods for an autograph that went largely unfulfilled. Read More
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process