Woods paired with Day, Allenby at Aussie Open
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Nov 8, 2011 9:33 AM ET
Tiger Woods will not be paired with Adam Scott for the first two rounds of the Australian Open, but a couple of other Aussies will join him.
Woods is paired with Jason Day and Robert Allenby for the opening 36 holes at The Lakes in Sydney. They will go off Thursday at 12:10 p.m. local time (8:10 p.m. ET Wednesday) off of the first tee. For Day, it will be the first time playing with Tiger Woods in his career.
Scott is one group ahead of Woods going off with Matt Kuchar and countryman John Senden. Scott – the 2009 champion – was rumored for some time to play with Day and Woods in a blockbuster grouping, but organizers opted to separate the two in light of the comments caddie Steve Williams made last weekend in Shanghai.
Golf Australia created a trio of groups with Presidents Cup principals from both sides set to meet next week at Royal Melbourne.
American Presidents Cup captain Fred Couples will be paired with assistant captain John Cook and Peter Senior. Defending champion Geoff Ovilgy is grouped with FedEx Cup champion Bill Haas and Bubba Watson, while Dustin Johnson will join two-time Aussie Open winner Aaron Baddeley and International captain Greg Norman.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path