GFC Search

 

Woods says 'time to move on' from Garcia flap

RSS

DUBLIN, Ohio – It is seems doubtful the episode is either forgiven or forgotten, but as far as Tiger Woods is concerned it is time to stop talking about Sergio Garcia’s racially insensitive remarks during an awards dinner last week in London.

“It’s already done with,” Woods said when asked if he’d spoken directly to Garcia since the remarks were made. “It’s time to move on.”

Woods and Garcia’s relationship, which has always been frosty, grew outwardly contentious following an incident during the third round of The Players Championship when the Spaniard suggested the world No. 1 pulled a club, and caused the crowd to stir, while he was hitting from the second fairway.


Video: Tiger discusses Sergio's racially insensitive remarks

Memorial Tournament: Articles, videos and photos


The war of words escalated into an international incident last week when Garcia was asked during an awards dinner at the BMW PGA Championship if he planned to invite Woods over to his rental house during the U.S. Open.

“We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken,” Garcia said.

Garcia issued a written apology and addressed the media following the remarks and Woods tweeted a response, “The comment that was made wasn’t silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate.”

On Wednesday at Muirfield Village, where he is preparing to defend his Memorial title, Woods was asked if he was surprised by the comment.

“I live it. It’s happened my entire life, my entire career,” he said. “It exists all around the world, not just in golf.”