Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S team, captained by Davis Love III. After the Memorial Tournament, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week's position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Bubba Watson (4,798.40; 1)
2. Jason Dufner (4,735.57; 2)
3. Phil Mickelson (4,069.92; 3)
4. Matt Kuchar (3,731.54; 4)
5. Hunter Mahan (3,449.08; 5)
6. Tiger Woods (3,326.72; NR)
7. Zach Johnson (3,235.63; 6)
8. Keegan Bradley (3,212.28; 7)
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Rickie Fowler: Fowler played in the penultimate group on Sunday with Woods and shot a career-worst 84. Not a good indicator but likely an isolated incident.
10. Steve Stricker: Made the cut in his defense at the Memorial Tournament but was not spectacular in a T-50 finish.
11. Bill Haas: Haas played the first two days with Tiger at Muirfield Village GC. He didn't play any other days. Not good.
13. Ben Curtis: Curtis did not make the cut at the Memorial but has a 36-hole day with Davis Love III at the U.S. Open sectional qualifier on Monday. Time to chat.
17. Jim Furyk: Furyk got into contention on the weekend at the Memorial but faded slightly to finish T-13. Still, another good effort from the 2010 FedEx Cup champion.