World Match Play features new course, bigger purse
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 3, 2012 12:06 PM ET
The European Tour’s Volvo World Match Play Championship already has a new venue for 2013. It will feature a beefier purse, too.
Tournament organizers announced Monday that the prize money for the 24-player event will rise from €2.75 million ($3.5M) to 3 million ($3.9M) next season – a 9 percent increase. The winner will collect €800,000 ($1.04M).
That event will be held May 16-19 – the week of the PGA Tour’s HP Byron Nelson Championship – at the Black Sea Resort at Thracian Cliffs, marking the first time that the European Tour has staged a tournament in Bulgaria. The Gary Player-designed track has been dubbed the “Pebble Beach of Europe,” in reference to its dramatic views and rugged coastal cliffs.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process