World Match Play features new course, bigger purse
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 3, 2012 12:06 PM ET
The European Tour’s Volvo World Match Play Championship already has a new venue for 2013. It will feature a beefier purse, too.
Tournament organizers announced Monday that the prize money for the 24-player event will rise from €2.75 million ($3.5M) to 3 million ($3.9M) next season – a 9 percent increase. The winner will collect €800,000 ($1.04M).
That event will be held May 16-19 – the week of the PGA Tour’s HP Byron Nelson Championship – at the Black Sea Resort at Thracian Cliffs, marking the first time that the European Tour has staged a tournament in Bulgaria. The Gary Player-designed track has been dubbed the “Pebble Beach of Europe,” in reference to its dramatic views and rugged coastal cliffs.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WD's from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth