World Match Play features new course, bigger purse
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 3, 2012 12:06 PM ET
The European Tour’s Volvo World Match Play Championship already has a new venue for 2013. It will feature a beefier purse, too.
Tournament organizers announced Monday that the prize money for the 24-player event will rise from €2.75 million ($3.5M) to 3 million ($3.9M) next season – a 9 percent increase. The winner will collect €800,000 ($1.04M).
That event will be held May 16-19 – the week of the PGA Tour’s HP Byron Nelson Championship – at the Black Sea Resort at Thracian Cliffs, marking the first time that the European Tour has staged a tournament in Bulgaria. The Gary Player-designed track has been dubbed the “Pebble Beach of Europe,” in reference to its dramatic views and rugged coastal cliffs.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth