JERSEY CITY, N.J. – Matt Kuchar and Gary Woodland share The Barclays lead through 54 holes, but Tiger Woods is only four shots back and looking for win No. 6 of the season. Here’s what You Oughta Know heading into the final day at Liberty National:
• Matt Kuchar has held or shared a 54-hole lead three times in his career and has gone on to win two of those events: 2009 Turning Stone Resort Championship (tied for the lead through three rounds) and 2013 Memorial Tournament. He also led the 2013 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial through three rounds (finished runner-up, one stroke behind winner Boo Weekley).
• A win this week would make Kuchar only the second player to win the same FedExCup Playoffs event more than once (Woods: 2007, 2009 BMW Championship). He would join a list of seven other players with more than one Playoffs event win: Woods (3); Steve Stricker (2); Vijay Singh (2); Dustin Johnson (2); Camilo Villegas (2); Rory McIlroy (2); and Phil Mickelson (2).
• Woods owns five come-from-behind wins when trailing by four strokes or more entering the final round: 2012 Memorial Tournament (four shots back); 2009 Memorial Tournament (four shots back); 2009 Arnold Palmer Invitational (five shots back); 2000 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am (five shots back); and the rain-shortened, 54-hole 1997 Mercedes Championship (four shots back after 36 holes).
• Woods owns 23 career come-from-behind victories on the PGA Tour.
• Woods enters the FedExCup Playoffs atop the points standings for the second straight year. Woods also entered the FedExCup Playoffs in the No. 1 position in 2007 and 2009; he went on to win the FedExCup title in those two years.
• In the 46-year history of The Barclays, the third-round leader/co-leader has gone on to win 24 times, the most recent being Steve Stricker in 2007.
• Woodland has never held the outright lead at a PGA Tour stroke-play event. He has shared the lead three previous times: after Round 1 of the 2011 Children's Miracle Network Classic, eventually finishing T-12; and after the third and fourth round of the 2011 Bob Hope Classic, eventually finishing T-2. Woodland's most recent win, the 2013 Reno-Tahoe Open, uses a modified Stableford scoring format. He was leading by seven points entering the final round and won by nine points.
• This would be Kevin Chappell’s first PGA Tour victory. The only times he has ever held or shared the lead of a PGA Tour event were the 2011 Children’s Miracle Network Hospital Classic, where he shared the 54-hole lead, and the 2011 Valero Texas Open, where he shared the 36-hole lead. Chappell went on to finish those tournaments at T-3 and T-2, respectively.
• Eight players have made The Barclays their first Tour win: Andy North (1977), Jack Renner (1979), Wayne Grady (1989), Vijay Singh (1993), JP Hayes (1998), Dennis Paulson (2000), Chris Smith (2002) and Jonathan Kaye (2003).