KAPALUA, Hawaii – Here is what You Oughta Know for the final round of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions:
• Since the 2006 season, two PGA Tour events have been shortened to 54 holes – the 2009 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and 2011 Barclays. Dustin Johnson won each of those titles.
• This is the fourth time in Johnson’s career that he has led or shared the lead heading into the final round, having won the 2010 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am (final-round 2-over 74), finishing T-8 at the 2010 U.S. Open (final-round 11-over 83) and second at the 2011 WGC-Cadillac Championship (final-round 1-under 71).
• A six-time PGA Tour winner, Johnson is looking to become the first player since Tiger Woods (1996-01) to win in six consecutive years straight out of college. He has won at least one Tour event in each of the last five seasons (2008-2012), the second-longest active streak of consecutive seasons with a victory behind only Phil Mickelson’s nine (2004-2012).
• Through two rounds, Johnson has hit a career-best 33 of 36 greens in regulation (91.7 percent).
• Steve Stricker will enter the final round three strokes behind Johnson. Last year, Stricker entered the final round with a five-stroke lead, equaling the largest 54-hole lead at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions (David Duval in 1999). The year before, he shared the 54-hole lead with Jonathan Byrd and Robert Garrigus before finishing T-4.
• A 12-time PGA Tour winner, Stricker is playing in the event for the seventh time of his career and fourth consecutive season. In his last four trips to Kapalua, he has finished second (2008), T-10 (2010), T-4 (2011) and won (2012).
• After strong winds forced the cancellation of the first three rounds, Tuesday is expected to be slightly calmer. The forecast calls for winds of 15-25 miles per hour, with gusts of up to 30 mph.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth