KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh and Carl Pettersson are tied at 4 under par after 36 holes of the PGA Championship. Singh, who shot 69, was the only player in the field to break 70 on Friday at the Ocean Course.
Rory McIlroy, Adam Scott, Phil Mickelson and Graeme McDowell are all within four shots of the leaders. If all these big names stay in contention “Glory’s Last Shot” could become the “Year’s Best Major.”
Here are some things “You Oughta Know” as we head into the weekend:
• Woods had converted eight of 10 second-round leads or co-leads in major championships, but had failed to convert his last two (2009 PGA Championship, 2012 U.S. Open). Overall on the PGA Tour, Woods has converted 34 of 43 second-round leads or co-leads.
• Woods last played with Singh in the final round of the 2012 Masters. Woods shot 74, Singh 72.
• Singh will be 49 years, 5 months and 21 days old on Sunday. The oldest winner in major history is Julius Boros, who won the 1968 PGA Championship at age 48 years, 4 months and 18 days. Singh’s last lead after any round of a major came after the first round of the 2006 Masters, where he ultimately tied for eighth place.
• There was one score in the 60s, two scores in the 90s and 38 scores in the 80s. Club pros Michael Frye and Doug Wade shot 90 and 93, respectively. Among the scores in the 80s were Hunter Mahan (80), Jason Day (80), Rickie Fowler (80) and Matt Kuchar (82).
• The Ocean Course played nearly five strokes harder Friday than it did on Thursday. With little wind, the players feasted on the course to the tune of a 73.33 stroke average in Round 1. For Round 2, it was 78.11.
• Joost Luiten, who is 1 over par through 35 holes, is the only player who didn’t finish Round 2. His playing partners Alan Morin and Thomas Aiken both played the 18th hole and missed the cut. Luiten will return at 7:30 a.m. ET Saturday to play No. 18.
• Two of Pettersson’s last three wins have been in the Carolinas – the 2012 Heritage at nearby Harbour Town and the 2008 Wyndham Championship in North Carolina.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path