Welcome to the Golf Guy's sports lounge. Order up your favorite beverage, and let's hope you join in on the conversation. Maybe even get into a good ol' fashioned sports and golf debate.
I was once somewhat skeptical of the seemingly contrived FedEx Cup playoffs. Not anymore. Golf is entertainment – and this is assuredly better than what we used to have. Sure, I’m not really worried about the guys hanging around the 125th spot. But I do love the buildup. And ultimately the small-field events with the game’s best. For me, it’s kinda like butter pecan ice cream – I didn’t like it as a kid but have grown to love it. Long live the FedEx Cup Butter Pecan Playoffs!
Ultimate pairing – Much was understandably made of the Tiger-Rory grouping at The Barclays. Tiger is Tiger, and with Rory coming off another blowout win in a major, the golf world was abuzz. But make no mistake – there still isn’t a bigger pairing than Woods and Mickelson. Not even close.
Lance Armstrong – Yikes. I don’t have a clue what to think. Or what to believe. I just want to crawl under a rock for a couple of years and wait to see how this plays out.
Post-Olympic note - I finally figured out that I have something in common with Michael Phelps – he sometimes doesn’t take a breath for the entire length of the pool. I, sometimes, don’t take a breath when I eat an ear of corn. Which leads me to having something in common with Usain Bolt as well – I can eat an ear of corn in less than 10 seconds. What does this mean? That the Golf Guy could represent the United States if there were an Ear of Corn Eating Team.
Did you know that there is a guy playing on the European Tour named Taco Remkes? Gotta love his parents naming him Taco. I wish my parents would have named me Chocolate Sprinkled Donut.
A common phrase this year – ''Tiger's back'' – took on a new meaning Friday at The Barclays. Woods felt a twinge in his lower back when he awoke and felt pain throughout the second round at Bethpage B... Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path