Here are the benefits you can receive from this training device:
1) Improve flexibility to lower the risk of injuries and improve range of motion
2) Increase flexibility of the shoulder girdle for more stability at the top of your back swing
3) Increase flexibility of the upper legs for improved balance during your swing
4) Increase flexibility of your hip girdle for more power and club head speed
5) Increase flexibility of the lower legs for more push-off power in the downswing
6) Increase the flexibility of the trunk which is critical in making an effective turn
7) Increase the flexibility of the forearms and wrists for better club control
8) Ultimately increase your overall fitness level!
Now lets get started...
This stretch helps to maintain flexibility in your trunk during play which gives you a greater consistent turn.
Sitting in the middle of the cart with your back straight and your feet on the floor board, turn your torso to one side and reach for the bar across the back of the seat. Make this turn with as little hip movement as possible and feel the stretch throughout your torso . Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Start: Lie back with both knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Pull the right leg to the chest and wrap the center of the stretch trainer around the arch of the foot.
Action: Straighten the right leg holding on to both loops equally and slowly pull the leg towards the chest. Hold both loops in the left hand, straighten the opposite leg and extend the right arm to the side. Slowly drop the extended leg to 10 oclock (picture shows 9 oclock) and turn the head to the right. (picture 3 shows finish position from opposite side)
Finish: Hold for 30 seconds, release the tension and repeat but the second time increase the stretch. Repeat to the opposite side.
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 11 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.