Welcome to week 2 of our Q & A top ten. Many of you email me weekly with questions regarding your fitness routine and how it relates to your golf game. Ive narrowed those questions down to a top ten! Over the next several weeks Ill answer your questions so be sure to read the Fitness section of The Golf Channel each week to see if your question made the top ten! You can find all of the training aids used to demonstrate the exercises in the golf fitnessPro Shop.
Question: Kelly ' I live in the northeast and need some advice on swinging exercises for indoors during the winter.
Mark S '
Answer: Tim - Mark ' Im sure with the amount of snowfall youve had of late, youre starting to get cabin fever, but what awesome weather to celebrate the holidays! I highly recommend using a weighted club that is specifically designed to swing indoors. You will want to get a club that is equally weighted from the grip to the clubhead to prevent strain on the shoulder girdle.
Here are two exercises to improve your swing mechanics and maintain your tempo and timing during the winter:
Points to remember:
1. Start the golf swing by turning your shoulders and your hips in unison to a point where the shaft is pointing at 9:00 before your hands get involved.
2. Start the downswing by shifting your weight off of the right foot as you turn your hips.
3. In the downswing at 10:30, start straightening the right arm and flattening the left wrist to insure a square clubface at impact and beyond impact for 12 inches.
4. Finish in balance and facing the target.
Swinging Drills Routine:
1. Swing SLOWLY and DELIBERATELY holding the completion of each drill for 2 seconds.
2. Repeat each drill for 12 repetitions before moving on.
3. Swing through the 4 backswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
4. Swing through the 4 downswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
Half Backswing Drill
Start with the Strength Trainer at address. Swing it half way back to 12:00 and hold for 2 seconds. Then, return the Strength Trainer back to the address position.
Full Backswing Drill
Start with the Strength Trainer at address. Swing it to the top of your backswing and hold it there for 2 seconds. Then, return the Strength Trainer back to the address position.
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 13 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.