When using a stability ball it is important to follow these guidelines. They will ensure that you are performing the exercises safely and you are getting the most benefit from every repetition.
- Move in a slow, controlled manner.
- Maintain proper form with a neutral/pain-free trunk and neck position.
- Exhale upon exertion, inhale on return to start position of each repetition- this encourages trunk abdominal control and trunk stabilization.
- Move through full available range of motion each repetition.
- Avoid painful ranges of motion, postures, and positions.
When performing the stretching exercises outlined in the training programs, follow these simple rules.
- Hold each stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times on each side.
- Alternate stretches to each side to allow proper rest period.
- NEVER bounce while stretching.
- Stretch to the point of slight discomfort, but NEVER to pain.
- Maintain proper form to attain an effective stretch.
- Remember to maintain proper breathing
This week we will concentrate on flexibility exercises for the trunk and back. By keeping these areas flexible and strong you can create greater rotation for more power behind the ball.
Lets Get Started!
Start: : Kneel in front of the ball and place both hands atop the ball for balance.
Action: : Flex your abdomen and begin to slowly roll forward bending the elbows until the forearms are atop the ball.
Finish: : Once you have reached a stable position hold for 30 seconds. Slowly return to the start position and repeat.
Tip:: Keep your head in a neutral position and do not arch the back.
Start:: Kneel in front of the ball and place your forearms on the ball for balance.
Action: : Flex your buttocks and abdomen and slowly straighten your legs.
Finish: Once you have reached a stable position hold for 30 seconds. Slowly return to the start position and repeat.
Tip: If you find it difficult to maintain balance on the ball, spread your feet apart to just under the width of your shoulders. Your goal will be to execute the stretch with your feet together!
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 13 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.