Golf Stretch Trainer
Golf Strength Trainer
Points to Remember:
- Start the golf swing by turning your shoulders and your hips in unison to a point where the shaft is pointing at 9:00 before your hands get involved.
- Start the downswing by shifting your weight off of the right foot as you turn your hips.
- In the downswing at 10:30, start straightening the right arm and flattening the left wrist to insure a square clubface at impact and beyond impact for 12 inches.
- Finish in balance and facing the target.
- Swing SLOWLY and DELIBERATELY holding the completion of each drill for 2 seconds.
- Repeat each drill for 12 repetitions before moving on.
- Swing through the 4 backswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
- Swing through the 4 downswing drills, rest 2 minutes.
- Swing through the Full Swing Drill for 12 repetitions to complete the Swinging Drills Routine.
1. Start with the Strength Trainer at address.
2. Swing to the top of your backswing. Hold for 5 seconds.
3. Swing down to 5:00, insuring the left wrist is flattened on the downswing. Hold for 5 seconds.
4. Then, swing through to a balanced finish facing the target. Hold for 5 seconds
Par Level = 12 reps
Birdie Level = 15 reps
Eagle Level = 20 reps
Start: Stand with both feet shoulder width apart and hips rotated forward. Place the loop into the right hand and extend the stretch trainer overhead. Place the opposite hand behind the back and grip the stretch trainer.
Action: Bend the elbow of the extended arm and slowly pull downward on the stretch trainer.
Finish: Release the tension and repeat but the second time increase the stretch.
Tips: Keep the knees and abdomen flexed. Do not arch the back.
Flexible triceps assist with distance off the tee.
Keep in mind that as your body changes with becoming stronger and more flexible, its important to keep swinging your club to keep your tempo and timing in check! If you combined weeks one, two, three, four, five and six you should have 14 exercises on your chart! Try and complete this workout 2-3 days weekly. Remember to implement your cardio workout as well.
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 11 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.