'Being a Nationwide Tour member, I have no reason to try and get publicity from this. People in golf's circles know who I am', said Kontak, who's won five times on the Canadian Tour. 'If I was a nobody, then it might make some sense to generate publicity,' Kontak added.
On Tuesday night Brian Kontak, a 31-year-old tour professional from Phoenix with conditional status on this year's Nationwide Tour, told me, 'I'm dead serious about trying to qualify for the U.S. Women's Open.'
On Wednesday the United States Golf Association, which runs the U.S. Women's Open, responded. Media relations director Craig Smith said, 'Last year's application (for the Women's Open) states that the player must be born female and the USGA has no plans to change that on this year's application. Right now, Brian is not eligible and if he sent in an application it would automatically be rejected on that basis.'
When told of the USGA's stance, Kontak fired back. 'They're obviously doing what they have to do. We'll go from there,' said Kontak.
Kontak stopped short of saying that any legal action might be in the works. 'I can't answer that right now,' he said. 'I've got to get my ducks in a row and see where it goes.'
One thing is crystal clear from my conversations with the PGA Tour hopeful who reached the finals of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament a year ago and has PGA Tour and U.S. Open experience - he's not chasing any financial gain.
'My whole deal is equality,' Kontak said. 'If we're going to be equal, then let's be equal. I'm not trying to impress anybody. I'm just doing what I feel I need to do.
'Any money I make in that tournament (U.S. Women's Open) I would donate to a women's charity - more than likely a breast cancer foundation.'
This year's U.S. Women's Open is set for June 30-July 6 at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club in Oregon.
Related Links: Nationwide Tour Pro Wants Shot at the Ladies