What wasnt reported are his reasons for taking a pass on the event. In no particular order, here are some rumored excuses:
10. Elin has the ultrasound scheduled that week ' sex of baby will be told.
9. Tigers fancy sunglasses he used at Dubai broke ' in for repair.
8. Too many Nationwide Tour grads playing well ' needs extra week.
7. Woods at Nike headquarters testing Nikes new triangle-shaped driver.
6. Els and Garcia both making their 07 U.S. debuts ' two superstars is enough.
5. His Stanford Cardinal has must-see home games with Oregon and Oregon State.
4. Valentines Day, Valentines Day, Valentines Day.
3. Kakuya Grass.
2. Bored with winning in U.S. ' changing coaches and his swing that week.
1. Hes never won Nissan ' the streak means more than we can think.
Come up with your own, but I really think Woods wants to go into the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship as fresh as he possibly can. That week is a grind and winning it will take everything hes got. And yes, I do think his past record at the Nissan is a bit of a factor.
The good thing for golf fans is that I really believe he cares about the current PGA TOUR streak quite a bit.
A couple of other notes. As mentioned, Nissan will give us Ernie Els who ' on his website - says hes really excited about his game and the year in front of him. He clearly has goals and winning at the Nissan would be a big thing for Ernie and the PGA TOUR in general. At this point Tiger is the only big name that comes to mind when forecasting the Masters. Phils not playing well, Vijay hasnt been able to carry his great week at the Mercedes beyond Kapalua, and we havent seen Sergio or Retief make a statement in quite some time.
This is a big weekend for Mickelson ' whos still a mystery. Last week it was reported that he was using a new Callaway driver as a bit of a test balloon for Augusta. What worries me is that Phils thinking about Augusta and not the current event. Ive been on record as saying that hed win twice before the Masters. At this rate, that wont happen. A Lefty win this weekend would be a big shot in the arm for both him and the PGA TOUR.
Anybody else ready for the LPGA season to get going? I am. Next week at Turtle Bay from Hawaii.
If the starts by Hoffman, Quinney, Baddeley and others isnt enough to make you watch the Nationwide Tour this year then I dont know what is. The next win on the PGA TOUR by a Nationwide Tour graduate will be No. 200.
Selfishly speaking, I wish Tiger Woods was playing next week at the Nissan Open. Well be there doing the Sprint Pre/Post Game shows and the buzz is always a bit louder with T.W. in the field.
Thats all for now. Enjoy the week and as always, I appreciate your comments.
Email your thoughts to Kraig Kann