Staton and Woods edged the #16 seeded duo of Andrew Barnes and Jorge Corral 2-and-1 to advance to Fridays division quarter-finals, where they will meet #9 Davidson Matyczuk/Blair Piercy.
Carl Desjardins and Serge Thivierge, the defending Charlevoix Cup champion and QPGA No. 1 seed, held off Earl Lasalle and Daniel Levasseur in their opening-round match.
The four-day tournament, hosted by the Quebec PGA at Manoir Richelieu Golf Club, pitted 16 two-man teams from both the Canadian Tour and QPGA playing a match-play format for $105,000 in prize money.
Players in the single elimination tournament will remain on their own side of the draw through Sundays final, when the QPGA and Canadian Tour champions meet for the $20,000 top prize.
Ranking means absolutely nothing here, it just gets you into the tournament, conceded Woods, a former California amateur champion. As soon as I saw the matchup (with Barnes and Corral), I didnt like it. That team has a lot of fight in them.
All square after nine holes, Staton and Woods caught a break on the par-4 10th. Woods tee shot went into a hazard, while Statons wound up behind a tree. With Barnes and Corral both on the green in two, Woods nailed his third shot to within 18-feet and drained the putt to halve the hole. Staton and Woods then won the next two holes, giving themselves a little breathing room.
On the 10th, it was almost like we both wanted to just pick up our ball and move to the next hole, said Staton. We were lucky either one of us found our ball. That turned out to be the momentum-changer for us.
Other results from the Canadian Tour side of the draw were:
(15) Jonn Drewery/Zoltan Veress def. (2) Jace Bugg/Jim Almand 1-up
(9) Davidson Matyczuk/Blair Piercy def. (8) Chris Greenwood/Dean Kennedy on first playoff hole
(10) Eddy Lee/Chris Wall def. (7) Danny Mijovic/Doug McGuigan 4-and-3
(5) Duane Bock/Rich Massey def. (12) Wes Martin/Dave Pashko 3-and-2
(11)Darren Griff/Drew Symons def. (6) Brian Unk/Brian Payne on first playoff hole
(3) Dave Christensen/Mikkel Reese def. Mark Brown/David Faught 3-and-2
(13) Eddie Maunder/Michael Harris def. (4) Scott Ford/Rob Johnson 1-up.
In the QPGA division:
(11) Louis Bourgeois/Eric Laporte def. (6) Pierre-Luc Bergeron/Patrick Loiselle 4-and-3
(8) Pete Bousquet/Jean-Louis Lamarre def. (9) Tom Bissegger/Jack Bissegger 6-and-4
(7) Marc Girouard/Kevin Senecal def. (10) Martin Brunet/Erik Laframboise 6-and-5
(4) Dave Levesque/Michel Hins def. (13) Michel Lapointe/Jean-Marc Tourangeau 4-and-3
(2) Remi Bouchard/Chris Learmonth def. (15) Jean-Yves Gagnon/Nicolas Huot 6-and-5
(14) Daniel Boily/Martin Genest def. (3) Luc Boisvert/Daniel Talbot 5-and-4
(12) Jean Chatelain/Martin Plante def. (5) Jerome Blais/Jason Morin 1-up.