Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in Augusta, Georgia this week for the 76th Masters Tournament. When it comes to Masters favorites this year, it is difficult to pick one because there are so many players performing well right now. He agrees with Hawkins that Mickelson is the favorite although he would not be surprised if McIlroy won.
You really want to see Augusta National play hard and fast because it brings the biggest possible number of contenders into the tournament. Unfortunately this year, weather has created soft and wet conditions which favor the long hitters and hurt the short hitters as well as the Masters rookies. The person most positively impacted by the weather in his opinion is John Senden who he thinks has the game to win The Masters this year. Other names Alex mentioned included Angel Cabrera and Fred Couples as they are long hitters with lots of experience at Augusta National.
The Augusta National has always played tricks on the minds of players. Rory McIlroy has the ability to not focus on the speculation behind his return to The Masters after the 2011 collapse. Another person who does not focus on the negative stuff is Phil Mickelson and he is someone who Alex thinks will be wearing his fourth Green Jacket on Sunday.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots