Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in Augusta, Georgia this week for the 76th Masters Tournament. When it comes to Masters favorites this year, it is difficult to pick one because there are so many players performing well right now. He agrees with Hawkins that Mickelson is the favorite although he would not be surprised if McIlroy won.
You really want to see Augusta National play hard and fast because it brings the biggest possible number of contenders into the tournament. Unfortunately this year, weather has created soft and wet conditions which favor the long hitters and hurt the short hitters as well as the Masters rookies. The person most positively impacted by the weather in his opinion is John Senden who he thinks has the game to win The Masters this year. Other names Alex mentioned included Angel Cabrera and Fred Couples as they are long hitters with lots of experience at Augusta National.
The Augusta National has always played tricks on the minds of players. Rory McIlroy has the ability to not focus on the speculation behind his return to The Masters after the 2011 collapse. Another person who does not focus on the negative stuff is Phil Mickelson and he is someone who Alex thinks will be wearing his fourth Green Jacket on Sunday.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth