Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is at Bethpage State Park this week for The Barclays. When asked about the announcement of the first two female members at Augusta National, Miceli said that the news was clearly orchestrated and everything happened the way that Chairman Billy Payne and the Augusta National Golf Club wanted it to happen. This news is important in the sense that it needed to happen but he does not know how much this news will impact women in the game of golf overall. Fortunately, more important issues in the game of golf can now be discussed.
Miceli thinks that there are in actuality two available U.S. Captain’s Picks because he thinks that it is almost certain that Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk will be on the team. Anyone from 9th to 25th in points can still make the team in his opinion and even someone outside of the top 25 has a chance if he wins either The Barclays or the Deutsche Bank Championship.
As for the Europeans, Martin Kaymer is currently on the team although he can be bumped by Nicolas Colsaerts in the Johnnie Walker Championship. After the PGA Championship, Kaymer told Miceli that if he makes the team he will play his best but if he does not make the team he does not want Olazabal to use a pick on him. While Poulter is almost certain to be a Captain’s Pick, Miceli does not believe that Padraig Harrington will be picked but does believe that Olazabal could still pick Kaymer. Of course, if Kaymer stays in the top 10, Poulter and Colsaerts will likely be the two picks.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd at Colonial for using putting aid
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots