Miceli is in Honolulu, Hawaii for the Sony Open in Hawaii this week. When one looks at rookies to watch in 2012, he offered the names of J.J. Killeen who finished 1st on the Nationwide Tour Money List in 2011 with a pair of wins and Sang-Moon Bae who is 34th in the Official World Golf Ranking and earned his 2012 PGA TOUR card in Q-School. While he wonders about what Killeen will do, he thinks that Bae will have a strong year in 2012.
There are a lot of players that people expect to break through on the PGA TOUR with their first win. Miceli thinks that it would be inconceivable for Rickie Fowler to not win on the 2012 PGA TOUR and he thinks that Charles Howell III will also have a great year. Howell III played very well in 2011 but has not won on the PGA TOUR since 2007. When you consider where Howell III is in his life and his game, he thinks that Howell III could really have a breakthrough year in 2012.
Miceli will be working with Gary Williams throughout 2012 on the new Golf Channel program “On The Range” and Miceli will be on-site at many PGA TOUR events throughout the year to provide news and information on a weekly basis.
The 2012 LPGA Tour Schedule has been released and there are five more events and around $7 million more in total purse money. He has been critical about Commissioner Michael Whan in the past on a number of issues but Miceli believes that this is a very positive step for Whan and the LPGA Tour. It also shows that Whan has surrounded himself with very intelligent, capable people on his staff and that he can accomplish a great deal if he is given time to do so. He is interested to see what Whan can accomplish in the next couple of years.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path