Tiger Woods is playing seven straight days this week after his WD from Doral and Alex said that he is not surprised that Tiger is playing this schedule this week. He has learned to expect anything from Tiger Woods and a big reason why there is so much attention when books and articles come about him is based on the fact that no one knows very much about Tiger. A good example of expecting anything from Tiger is when he went from unable to play on a broken leg to winning the U.S. Open in two weeks time.
At Doral, Tiger knew that he had to shoot a 62 in the final round to have any chance to win and if he was hurt, Alex wonders why he did not withdraw after 9 holes and why he decided to change shoes. When you have four knee surgeries and achilles tendon issues, any kind of injury is serious.
He feels that Ernie Els should receive a Special Invitation for the 2012 Masters if he does not otherwise qualify not only because of what he has done in his career at Augusta National (2 runner-up finishes and numerous top 10s) but also because Els still has the game to win The Masters.
Heading into The Masters, Alex said that the World #1 position is completely unimportant. At this point, you just want to be playing well going to Augusta National and Luke Donald is doing exactly that with his win last week in the Transitions Championship. Among the favorites, you have to say that Donald is among the top 3 favorites because whenever Donald has needed to get the job done, he has gotten the job done and you cannot say that about many people.
The Major Championships happen four times a year and for that reason, the fact that Luke Donald has not won a Major does not any impact on his ranking among the best clutch players in golf. He may not have the best game for winning Major Championships and he may have to do something similar to what Zach Johnson did when he won the 2007 Masters by taking advantage of both opportunities and conditions. Also, it is possible that Donald is a late bloomer in the Majors just as a number of great players have been. We should sit back and just wait and see what Luke will do in the Majors this year. Donald is now in the prime of his career and it will be interesting to see what he can do.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TaylorMade: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on ban: 'Not going to roll over and accept this'
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth