Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in Naples, Florida this week for the CME Group Titleholders. While he does not know if this event’s format is the best one, he does like that the players are playing for a very large purse to end the season. This is an exciting way to end the season but the timing of this event makes it difficult to get a lot of attention because it is the end of the year and everything gets overshadowed by football in the United States.
Miceli feels that the PGA of America messed up when they did not name Larry Nelson a U.S. Ryder Cup team captain and the only question now is whether or not he could still do the job and Miceli feels that he can. Nelson has the resume and the experience and the timing could be perfect because if the PGA of America did decide to name Nelson as the 2014 U.S. Captain, they could still name David Toms captain in 2016 and they would not be taking the experience of being Captain away from anyone. Miceli is particularly interested in the story behind Nelson being offered the U.S. Captaincy in the mid-1990’s and plans to pursue the story. The PGA of America may need to shake things up for 2014 and Nelson could be the man to lead a renewed effort to take back the Ryder Cup.
Charlie Beljan’s win on Sunday proves that the PGA TOUR has an incredibly strong group of players and it is evidence that so many players on any given week can win. While Beljan’s win in the Fall Series is great, it is time for the Fall Series to move on. The Fall Series served a good purpose for the past six years but starting next year, the fall events will be part of the FedExCup season and will have much more significance.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Mickelson to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae