If Tiger wins the Chevron World Challenge this week, Alex says that he will feel that Tiger is on the right track. He would actually put more stock in the result if Tiger played poorly than if he ended up winning. Alex thinks that Tiger’s playoff loss in 2010 was a hit to Tiger’s confidence. If Tiger were to win, it is hard to say that he is back if he beats a field of 18 players.
If he had to pick a favorite, he would pick Hunter Mahan because he is playing so well especially coming off of a 4-1-0 Presidents Cup. Mahan is also Alex’s pick to play great in 2012 on the PGA TOUR.
The most compelling story of the 2011 Q-School is the fact that there are four Major Champions – Beem, Duval, Janzen, and Micheel- who have to go back to Q-School to regain their PGA TOUR cards. There are a lot of young players and a lot of international players every year with compelling stories and this year will be no different.
Luke Donald is currently World #1 and is playing in Sun City and when asked who he thinks will be World #1 in November 2012, Alex had a bit of difficulty answering the question because he would have never guessed that Luke Donald would be World #1 this year. He added that he also did not expect that Donald would solidify his lead as much as he has.
Alex is amused by this whole Allenby vs. Ogilvy feud in Australia. He recalled the verbal battle between Allenby and Anthony Kim at the Presidents Cup in 2009. Allenby complained that Kim was out partying before the Sunday Singles yet Kim still beat Allenby by a significant margin. Allenby is a good guy but he has made excuses for results more than once. The selection of Allenby was justified by his local knowledge of Royal Melbourne and he fell way, way short of expectations. When you campaign on a specific issue, whether you are a politician or not, you have to live up to what happens no matter what.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth