Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in England this week for the RICOH Women’s British Open. He played in the tournament pro-am on Tuesday and was also in attendance at the 2006 Open Championship when it was held at Royal Liverpool. In 2006, the Open Championship was played in July and the conditions were very firm and fast as a lack of rain had dried the course significantly. With the RICOH Women’s British Open being played in September, the course is much more lush and green due to more rain which has resulted in a very different course. Many of the competitors do not know what to think because their only memories of Royal Liverpool involve watching Tiger win on television.
When asked where he thinks Royal Liverpool ranks among the courses on the Open Championship rotation, Miceli feels that it ranks among the best courses and the fact that the R&A wants to hold its biggest tournament there is certainly a ringing endorsement. The course did not play the way it was supposed to in 2006 due to the dry conditions and it is hoped that the course will play the way it is supposed to be played this year.
It is difficult to pick a group of favorites for this week because of the very different conditions that links golf presents. You cannot leave out World #1 Yani Tseng as she has won this Championship in each of the last two years even though she has not played well recently and he added the names of Paula Creamer, Ai Miyazato, Brittany Lincicome, and Brittany Lang to his list of potential contenders.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Korda in Mobile
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process