World Golf Hall of Fame Member Annika Sorenstam is at Mission Hills in China this week to attend the ANNIKA Invitational junior tournament. When she called into the show, Annika was having dinner with the tournament competitors and everyone was having a wonderful time.
When asked about the news that Augusta National invited its first two female members, Annika said that it was certainly a historic moment for the game and because Augusta National has a great amount of influence in the game of golf, it is a move that can have a big impact on the game of golf globally. China is a perfect example of how golf is growing around the world and the Augusta National definitely made a great decision. She has had the chance to play there three times and she considers it a great honor to have been able to go there.
She is in China until Saturday and after a few days back in Orlando, she heads to Sweden for the European edition of the ANNIKA Invitational. It is a great thing to see the game of golf grow around the world and she enjoys being able to do her part by sponsoring and travelling to various events around the world.
Annika thinks that the three all-male clubs that host the Open Championship – Muirfield, Royal Troon, and Royal St. George’s – will eventually invite female members and it would make a big impact for women in golf around the world. She feels very fortunate to have been able to compete in the RICOH Women’s British Open on such great venues as St. Andrews and Royal Birkdale and she hopes that the LPGA Tour will be able to continue to compete on the greatest links courses in the world.
The facility at Mission Hills in China has a total of 12 golf courses and the ANNIKA Invitational is being held on the course that she designed. It is a very impressive facility and Mission Hills has another facility on Hainan Island that has an additional 10 golf courses so Mission Hills alone has made an unbelievable contribution to the game of golf in China.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- R. Palmer uses local knowledge in Colonial 62
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms Rory's BMW PGA opener
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation