2012 Sybase Match Play Champion Azahara Munoz earned her first career LPGA Tour win last weekend with a 2&1 win over Candie Kung although her semifinal win over Morgan Pressel is getting the most attention. Being an LPGA Tour Champion is something that she has been working towards for a very long time and it feels great to finally achieve this goal.
She feels that her experience in the Solheim Cup had a big impact on her success in New Jersey last week as she felt very relaxed in every match and whenever she had to win a hole late in her match, she did exactly that.
When asked about her semifinal match with Morgan Pressel, Munoz said that she feels really bad about the entire situation as they had both been playing slow and with the wind blowing, both of them were backing off of their shots and taking more time than they should have been. She had no idea that Morgan was going to be penalized on the 13th tee and was very surprised to see that happen.
It was very nice of her friend Morgan to approach her on the practice tee before the final match to give her a hug. She had been hoping to talk to Morgan before her match and she was very relieved to be able to see her before the final match as well as after the final match. They have been friends for a long time and it meant a lot that Morgan went to see her.
She has not looked at the tape from the 15th hole of her semifinal match. Part of her routine is to place her putter above her line but she never grounds her putter. Morgan thought that she did and that is why she called an official to look at the situation. She is happy that the issue was settled quickly.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path