Golf Channel Analyst Brandel Chamblee is in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida this week for THE PLAYERS. When it comes to finding positives about Tiger Woods’ game in 2012, Chamblee noted that he won the Arnold Palmer Invitational and that he ranks high in total driving and greens in regulation on the PGA TOUR. He does not think Tiger trusts his golf swing anymore today than he did in March. This is his third straight start on a scary golf course (Augusta National, Quail Hollow, and TPC Sawgrass) and because his swing is not where he wants, Tiger is playing very defensively on the course and as a result, he is not making a lot of moves up the leaderboards.
Brandel’s good friend Mark Brooks is caddying for J.J. Henry and Chamblee noted that he is a bit surprised to see Mark caddying because he has a few gray hairs on his head. Chamblee told a story about when he played Q-School at PGA West and how he sought Mark’s advice. Mark is one of the brightest guys in golf and he misses seeing him on a regular basis. It is refreshing to see him out on the course this week caddying for J.J. Henry.
The most important part of your game at TPC Sawgrass is your driving. If you can go onto the course and hit good drives with distance and accuracy control, you will play well at TPC Sawgrass. The course is very brutal in that it is still very demanding even after you hit your tee shot in the right place. From there, you have to hit your approach in just the right part of the greens.
Lee Westwood is someone who Chamblee thinks will play well on Friday. Although Westwood had seven birdies on Thursday, he only shot 71 and because of his play and because he is playing on Friday morning, Chamblee is optimistic that Westwood can shoot a good round or even a great round today.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae