Chris DiMarco played in the final pairing with Phil Mickelson in 2004 and with Tiger Woods in 2005. He finished runner-up to Woods in 2005 when he lost on the first playoff hole.
2004 was the first time that he was in the final pairing and when he was with Phil Mickelson, he experienced just how many patrons were rooting for Phil and not for him. Peter Hanson just needs to go out and play his own game and not anyone else’s game. Hanson is a great player who has won on the European Tour and played in the Ryder Cup. This is probably the most watched round of golf all year but if he can just be himself, Hanson should be fine.
When he was preparing for the final pairing, he was anxious but he always felt like his game would hold up under the pressure because he had to be playing well to get into that position. It was never all that bad when he felt confident that he could hit good shots and make key putts but when he did not feel that way, things were certainly very stressful.
He has worked with Gio Valiente for a number of years and in the 2005 Masters, he had just lost in a playoff in the 2004 PGA Championship and Gio advised him to expect the unexpected and to expect good things to happen for Tiger. When those good things happened, he was not surprised and he was able to force the 2005 Masters into extra holes.
In 2004, the patrons were pro-Phil the entire time but in 2005, while the patrons were pro-Tiger at the beginning they moved into his corner by the second nine. That atmosphere is so loud and so intense but it was what all professional golfers aim for when they try to win Majors.
The only good thing about the 12th hole on Sunday is that you have the bunker option both long and short of the green. Watching Phil win in 2004 helped in large part by a birdie at 12 helped him in 2005. Having that experience, he thinks that Phil will go on to win his 4th Masters today.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process