Nobilo feels that the heavy rains have actually brought more players into The Open Championship rather than pushing players out. There is little wind but players are still working hard to break par in their second rounds. While the weather is bringing more players into the tournament, the tougher pin positions are keeping scores from going too low.
While the outward nine holes may play harder in the second round, the inward nine holes will play a bit easier. The rain has flooded many of the bunkers on the course and in order to succeed players will have to know exactly where they are going and where they need to hit the ball.
When you look at your yardage book and see that a pin is five yards or so away from an edge, on many occasions a player will think that they can be aggressive. But at Royal Lytham, there is often a pot bunker or other trouble just off the green so if you are too aggressive, you can find yourself in trouble.
He has rarely seen the kind of golf that Phil Mickelson is playing this week. Based on what he has watched in the second round, it seems like Mickelson is more confused than ever because he may have resorted to using a claw grip with his putter. He is also using two gloves during the tournament this week and Nobilo wondered if this had anything to do with his arthritic condition because although it is not terribly warm, it is not freezing cold either.
He spoke with Ernie Els about the state of his game earlier this year at THE PLAYERS and Els seemed as low about his game as he had ever been. Lately, however, he has shown improved performance and has said that he feels better on the course than he has in a long time. He contended late into the final round of the U.S. Open and it is entirely possible that he will do it again this week at Royal Lytham.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take