GolfChannel.com Senior Writer Jason Sobel is in Augusta, Georgia this week for the 76th Masters Tournament. With all of the momentum coming into the 2012 Masters, Sobel feels that the 2001 Masters actually had more momentum and anticipation going in because Tiger Woods was attempting to win his fourth consecutive Major (which he went on to win). While he does not dispute that there are a lot of great stories this year in Augusta, he just believes that 2001 had more momentum with the possibility of the Tiger Slam.
His favorite day to cover golf is the Sunday before The Masters. Many competitors were playing alongside Club Members and with no patrons on-site, it creates a very interesting atmosphere. He got to watch Tiger Woods practice his putting where he was knocking everything in and he thinks Tiger looks great heading into Masters Week.
Sobel stopped into the Augusta National Golf Club Pro Shop in the Clubhouse and he saw 2011 Champion Charl Schwartzel inside shopping alongside his wife. Charl was dressed almost exactly as he was when he won in 2011 which provided a bit of a surreal image.
Rex Hoggard and Jason Sobel drove up to Augusta on Sunday and the both live-tweeted their trip. They are also staying in the same house together this week and they know that they are around 385 miles away from Augusta when they are in Orlando.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae