While he thinks that Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk will be on the U.S. Ryder Cup, the pressure will be on other players who have not played well recently. While both Rickie Fowler and Hunter Mahan played well early in the year, they have not played well recently and may need a big week at TPC Boston to get on the team. Sobel also wondered what it would be like if Davis Love III went out and said publicly what potential Captain’s Picks need to do this week.
He thinks that Stricker and Furyk have done enough this year to earn a place on the team and their experience make them even more valuable. While Fowler has not played well recently, he has a reputation for having a positive presence and that can only help a U.S. team. Brandt Snedeker, who missed some tournaments this year due to injury, has played well this year and is playing very well right now. Plus, Snedeker’s putting ability would make him a big asset for the team. And a lot of people are not talking about Bo Van Pelt who has turned in a number of good performances although he has not won. Hunter Mahan has been a Captain’s Pick for both the U.S. Ryder and Presidents Cup teams in the past and while he won twice early this year, he has really struggled recently.
Sergio Garcia has been hiring non-professional caddies recently and has had some success. While David Faircloth was on the bag when he won the Wyndham Championship, CBS Sports Production Support staffer and friend Wayne Richardson was on the bag in The Barclays and will be on the bag in the BMW Championship and TOUR Championship as well. Sergio has yet to reveal who will be his caddie in the Ryder Cup.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play