Tiger Woods opened with a 72 at Congressional and there is not really a lot to say about it because he is only five shots back and the course is playing difficult. The story of Tiger Woods’ season has not been the quality of his rounds. Instead, it has been the consistency of his rounds. There have been moments where he has played very well and yet there have also been moments where he has not played very well and many times he does both within the same round.
He is playing in the morning in the second round and he definitely has a chance to make up some ground on the leaders. One thing that Sobel will be paying attention to is how he performs in the bunkers. After his first round, Tiger gave a number of reasons why he did not play well in the bunkers at Congressional. He has been struggling in the sand save category all year and the bunkers at Congressional are playing tough this week because the bunkers are set up to play as the hazards that they are by putting a lot of sand in them.
He has not heard anything about the future of the AT&T National at Congressional as he has not had an opportunity to speak with Congressional CC members recently but he does know that Aronimink Golf Club, which hosted the 2010-2011 AT&T National, enjoyed hosting the event and would love to do so again. The Philadelphia area loves its sports and they love its golf as well and Aronimink would be very interested in hosting again after the event’s contract with Congressional ends following the 2014 AT&T National.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process