GolfChannel.com Senior Writer Jason Sobel held a live internet chat during the USGA/R&A teleconference and Sobel said he was very impressed by the number of truly thoughtful and intelligent questions about how this potential ban would impact both pros and amateurs. There was not much confusion among the people he spoke with but there was certainly concern.
The term “USGA” has been tweeted over 6,000 times and the word “putter” has been tweeted over 4,000 times in the last 24 hours so it is a big topic in social media. One of the more thoughtful tweeters on this subject is PGA TOUR member Joe Ogilvie who has asked about what the impact will be if a Major Champion in the next three years wins while anchoring his or her putter. Ogilvie wonders if that Champion will be accused of cheating because this ban has been proposed.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth